Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The many faces of the 1st birthday

This post is incredibly late, but better late then never, right? Daniel turned 1 on June 1st- and we actually celebrated the day before so that both sets of his grandparents could attend the big party. The celebration turned out to be perfect, but the day did start off a bit rocky. It begin a little hectic as we were moving the same day- so Bryson was dealing with a least 2 or 3 incompetent people at U haul for about 3 hours and ended up arriving late for the party. The next stumbling block was that someone accidentally took all of Daniel's '1st birthday' decorations out of the reserved party room. The guy later realized his mistake, but that was after Bryson's sister Crystal had to go out and buy all new decorations! The next problem we had was that someone burnt toast or something on the 10th floor and we had to stand outside for 30 minutes while firemen took care of the 'big fire'. Despite the many hurdles, the party was a big success. We chowed down on delicious Patsy's pizza and salad and cheered Daniel on while he devoured his birthday cake. We were able to celebrate our sweet baby's 1st birthday with so many loved ones- so it could not have been any better :) Of course, I had to share some of the photos.


So Daniel was not too impressed with the party at first.
In fact, he seemed rather bored with the silly hats, decorations, and pizza.
His boredom soon turned to anger and tears when he realized this was all we had to offer for his first birthday.

But as soon as we mentioned cake, presents, and friends, he perked up a bit.

He received some great duds, books, and toys from family and friends.

And the party was attended by some fabulous people, including his uncle Nick who will soon be heading to Mongolia for his mission.

Some of his best friends were there like Ryder and Davey. Cousins Cami and Alie were also there, but must have been doing something 'girlie' without the boys.
Here is cousin Alie and her most beautiful mom, Emily. Unfortunately, I do not have a pic of his other beautiful cousin, Katie, who was also there :(


He could not figure out what to do with the little candle. I thought he may try to eat it, so we helped him blow it out :)

The real party began when we cut the cake!

Grandma and Grandpa Bigler were so happy to be there! So were Grandpa and Grandma Richards :)
What a lucky kid- 2 grandpas at your first birthday.

Here we are with his wonderful aunt and uncle, Crystal and Taylor. And it would not have been a party without cousin Cami.


I am one lucky mom- how did I get such a wonderful boy? Has it really been a year? I wish I could just freeze him!

17 comments:

Shannon & Kevin said...

What a cutie-pie! and what a great idea to have party hats!! Danny is one lucky boy to have such great parents and family! I love him SO much and CAN'T wait to see him in just a few weeks!!

Mindi said...

What a fantastic family picture as your header! All smiling so big! Happy to catch up on the birthday/moving endeavors. We, too, have had nothing but frustration with every interaction we have had with Uhaul. I think it's a trend with that company.

Glad to see Daniel perked up finally at the end of the party (according to the pictures)! I can't believe a year has already passed by! I'm sure you feel it even more. Thanks for the update.. how's Rochester?!

di said...

love the photos (and storyline...very clever!) And Daniel's uncle is going to Mongolia - that is super cool...

Gretchen said...

Jen,
What a cute family you have! My husband Chad met your husband at the hospital today. We are living in the Pittsford ward and I have 2 kids, ages 13 and 10. We'd love to get together sometime. Call me if you need anything (not that I'm the expert on the area having only just moved here too, but I know it gets lonely and adult conversation can be hard to come by when the kids are young). My home number is 585-662-5784.
Look forward to meeting you,
Gretchen Malone

Trish and Brian said...

Jen - he is so cute, but so are you. Motherhood suits you as I think you are even prettier now!

Logan and Emily said...

You have such a wonderful little family! I can't believe how fast time flies!

Jessica said...

One year!!! Holy cow! Where did it go???? What a cute little boy!

PS Uncle Nick is smokin! I want to set him up with my sister!

de-la said...

One already?!! No way!! Ughhh, I can't believe how fast time is going. Yes, I was going to comment on Nick. When did he grow up?!

Holly said...

happy birthday to daniel! i can't believe it's been a whole year! he's so adorable- i'm sure you just love him to pieces. can't wait to see him again sometime soon!

Camille said...

Great Pics Jen! Ry misses his good friend Daniel. It was a GREAT b-day! Email me pictures of your house when you have a chance.

Melissa said...

oh i know! why can't we freeze them?
sounds like quite the partay. happy first birthday Danny!

Lauren said...

Daniel is soo adorable! Looks like a great party:) We will miss you guys!!

emily said...

Happy birthday to Daniel! I cannot believe he is already 1...how did that happen? Looks like the party was a smashing success. Hope the move went smoothly!

Jewels said...

I'm sorry....Nick? Would he mind if I waited for him on his mission? What a dreamboat!

Happy Birthday, little man! Cole will be turning 1 at the end of August and it went by SO fast! I love them at this age - they are just so much fun...

PS - you are so absolutely gorgeous!

The Strand Family said...

I love Danny's facial expressions hahaha, he's so funny! The year just flew by. I think the 1st bday party is such an emotional day for the parents. Oh by the way...Congrats to Nick on his mission call. When does he leave?

ryan and laura said...

love baby's first birthday! who doesn't love watching a baby stuff their face with cake and frosting!

congrats to bryson on graduating! that really is so exciting! cant wait to hear about rochester and how you are liking it. ryan leaves in less than 2 weeks for camp and I cant believe it - the kids and I will for sure come up to rochester when we get back in august and would love to see you guys. I havent been but I heard there is a really fun childresn museum up there in the victor area I think - maybe we could meet up....or you guys are always welcom to come visit training camp if you want. it's an adventure!

Steve and Dayna Magleby said...

i have been MIA with camp utah but was THRILLED to finally see these photos on your blog. Danny is so handsome!!! I love all the pictures and the cute party hats. SO wish I was there. Can't wait to see you in less than a week. Love you!