Monday, September 1, 2008

Off to London- got any ideas?


I am off to London on the 23rd, and I can hardly contain my excitement. I am going with my mom and brother as a sort of last hurrah for Nick before he heads to the freezing Gobi dessert of Mongolia for 2 years. I wish the whole family could go, but Steph is in school, Luke is involved in a few activities, Katy is a busy mom to a tot and a newborn, my dad is working, and of course, Bryson will be in the hospital. Daniel will be staying with my mother-in-law in D.C., so it will just be the 3 of us, and it is going to be a blast. I studied a semester abroad in London and have dreamt of returning for over 6 years. I am dying to stroll past Buckingham palace, to punt on the cam at Cambridge, to view the dazzling jewels at the tower of London, and to hit up Harrods for a little shopping. Despite living there for 4 1/2 months, I cannot remember everything we did and would love to get your input as to what we should see while we are there. I know you probably have some great ideas!!
p.s.- for those of you who were in London with me, of course I am going to visit 27 Palace Court! I am hoping to see Tony and Tina!! Maybe she will make me some of the banana dessert that I still sometimes crave.

14 comments:

Taylor said...

If you know anything about anything then you'll be sure to get Rick Steve's London guide and follow that.
http://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-London-2008/dp/1566918626

Also, don't you dare forget to hit up that delicious crepe shop that's just south of the chapel on exhibition road I believe.

P.S. said...

I am insanely jealous!!! I will make a list and get right back to you. But for starters I do think you should at least stroll by our beloved 27 Palace Court.

Haley said...

Can I say how excited I am for you! Wow! I think you need to come over so we can discuss (although I've never been to London).

Logan and Emily said...

Oh Jen!!! I'm so excited for you and I'm dying of jealousy! Make sure you see our old flat!

Steve and Dayna Magleby said...

awesome!!!! how long will you be there for?

Steve and Dayna Magleby said...

i wish you would have left danny with me :) people bring babies to class all the time here at BYU. ha. no, but really, they do- that part was not a joke.

George Family said...

Have so much fun! How long will you be there?

Lindsey said...

Hey Jen! great you will be in London! We will be out of the country from Sept 21-Oct 1, so I will miss you! Let me know if you need any tips/advice... lindseylphillips@gmail.com

what is your email? I have the wrong one, I think.

Also, if you are here on a thurs/fri/sat, then you should go to Borough Market for a delicious lunch. It is an amazing food market (you get off a London Bridge tube station), you can also go to the tate modern from there, go to Chelsea for shopping, trafalgar sqaure/covent garden, see a play at the Globe or one at the regent's park open-air theatre. go to hyde park for sure and maybe rent a paddle boat if it's nice. notting hill for portobello market. tea at the ritz?

all just off the top of my head, but let me know if you want more. :) Where are you staying?

Lindsey

Anna said...

O Miss Jen, I could not be more jealous!! How fun!! Be sure to hit up Wagamama for yummy food and topshop for some stylish duds. And blog about it all in excruciating detail so that I can be even more wildly jealous and pretend that I was there too. I am SO excited for you!! Don't forget to take a stroll through Kensington Gardens in honor of all our insanely early morning runs :) Tell Tony & Tina hi for all the golden girls

Camille said...

Can I come too!!?? You are SO lucky to have a wonderful mother-in-law to watch Daniel and family to travel with. Have so much fun!!

Heidi said...

so you totally don't know me but I was cruising blogs (I am friends with Taryn Wheatley and Lindsey Phillips) and had to comment on this. I did study abroad in London too and loved it. you can find the recipe for Tina's banana dessert here: http://internecipes.blogspot.com/2007/02/tinas-banana-dessert.html

I would recommend seeing a play at Regent's Park open air ampitheater. Greenwich is kind of cool to visit. Have fun on your trip!

Oh and I loved your post about Obama. So true! My husband is a third year med student at UNR (we live in Vegas right now for rotations) and the healthcare is of special concern to us if he wins, as well as increased taxes.

Mindi said...

Have so much fun!!! I am jealous! If Nick is still interested or wants more details on Mongolia.. let me know. I never did give you my brother's number. I know he would LOVE to tell him all about it. Just let me know.

Steve and Dayna Magleby said...

i miss my danny

Holly said...

i wish i could be going with you! don't forget kensington palace and gardens, warwick castle, shopping on oxford street, and places like oxford, cambridge, canterbury, and so many more!!! take lots of pictures for us!