Friday, December 5, 2008

Great Thanksgiving

Ahh.... this past week was crazy but wonderful! Bryson had to work on Thanksgiving morning, so the Richards ALL flew up to Rochester (I know- so nice of them!). Well, actually, all the Richards except Steve and Dayna (they were missed).
I made my first Turkey. It was less than stellar. I cooked it in a roaster oven since I only have one small oven and I needed it to cook the ham, 2 dishes of stuffing, 2 dishes of sweet potatoes, rolls, and creamed corn. The roaster instructions said "may cook slightly faster than regular oven". Well, much to my horror "slightly faster" was 2 1/2 hours faster. The turkey turned out a little dry and it took me FOREVER to get my gravy to thicken, but I think the rest of the meal was a success.
I have to say it is No small task cooking for 16 people, yet the week was so fun I would do it again anytime.
I love Thanksgiving... and not just for the food.
It gives me a chance to think about how much I am grateful for, which is
something I should do on a daily basis.
Here are a few of the things I am grateful for this year:
The gospel
My family
Good health
Great friends
The fact that Bryson has a great job (as so many do not right now)
A new camera that I can take beautiful pics of my baby boy
The opportunity to live in such a beautiful area of the country
Visits from our families
My list could go on forever. Don't you wish Thanksgiving were everyday?
I know my days would be filled with so much more joy if I only focused on what I have and not what I want in this life.

I only took 3 pictures the whole week (I know- what was I thinking?!) So I stole some from Shannon's blog. Thanks Shannon!
Shan and Kevin

Crystal and Morgan

Sweet Elyse... she peeled almost 20 pounds of potatoes on her own. What a girl!

Daniel thought the whole peeling business looked fun so he wanted to help. He ended up peeling about 1/4 of a potato- such a good helper!

Busy at work
Playing at Lake Ontario
Jordan and Daniel deep in thought

14 comments:

Amanda said...

We had 21 people at Ben's parents house for Thanksgiving and we had to use 3 ovens (his grandmas down the street, theirs and the next door neighbors). Props to you for doing everything with one! Glad to see that you guys were able to host that many people and still maintain your sanity! At least it didn't snow for their stay in Rochester.

Nate and Nicole said...

Wow - I'm impressed! I have yet to attempt anything even close to feeding 16 people a Thanksgiving dinner! Daniel is just too cute, by the way.

Oh, and just wondering, what kind of camera did you get? I'm looking right now, so I love to hear what other people use/like. Thanks!

Steve and Dayna Magleby said...

Jen- YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!! When I heard what you did for everyone up there I was so impressed and could not believe how generous and amazing you were to do all that you did over Thanksgiving. We SO wish we could have been there (for dry turkey and all! :) I'm sure it tasted great). We can't wait to see you over Christmas!

J and Rachel Kirkham said...

I am MAJORLY impressed with you missy. Cooking for 16 people...whoa! It looks like you had so much fun. I'm glad you could all be together this year. We love you!

natalie said...

well i'm impressed you even ATTEMPTED a thanksgiving dinner--i'm still in the go to the parents for any holiday mode :) great pictures--great to see an update. and as soon as this little baby of ours makes her appearance, we'll post--don't you worry :) happy holidays!!
love,
nat

Anna said...

Jen, I'm seriously impressed that you did an entire Thanksgiving dinner all on your own... I have nightmares about the dinner I will have to someday make on my own. Way to go!! I miss you these days. Hope you guys are doing well! love ya

The Strand Family said...

WOW! I'm impressed Jen! I could never cook a Thanksgiving dinner for that many people. Think of Sister Mohler and cooking for a family of 16 for every meal every day!! Your pics are way cute :) I'm thankful for great friends too ;)

Heather Smith said...

J/B, Hello from the Smith's in Oklahoma. Hope all is well with you guys. Heather found your blog and called me in. Your boy is adorable. We also love the bulldog pic. We are looking at getting one as well. Hope to talk to you soon.
XO, Matt and Heather Smith

callie & steve said...

what a feast! and a feat! seriously...i got exausted cooking my first thanksgiving a few years ago for 3 people...you are a champ. and that picture at the end of you and shannon just tops it all off. ha!

taryn said...

wow, you girls got ups! congrats on your first turkey...I am too much of a wimp to even try!

Holly said...

i love thanksgiving too- it's one of my very favorite holidays. way to go on cooking gravy (and everything else)! gravy is one of those foods i'm scared to make (along with breads needing yeast). so congrats!

Sami said...

Hey it has been so long! Just wanted to say hi. I love the pictures from your trip to London! :)

Jewels said...

Jen!! I haven't been over here forever, forgive me - things are so crazy! It looks like you are still as busy as ever with your darling family. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas - come see me! Love you!

Melissa said...

This is the first year we did Thanksgiving with a smaller group so we had to do most of it (instead of the usual assignement of a side or a dessert) and it is SO much work! I can't believe you pulled it off with a small oven!
Glad you guys are liking Rochester and that you have so much to be thankful for. That pic of the two little boys looking out onto the lake is adorable.