Friday, January 16, 2009

Jealous?


This morning the temperature gauge on my car read 2 degrees . I checked the weather report about 5 minutes ago and it actually feels like -11 with the wind chill. I personally have never experienced such cold. Unaware of today's frigid temperatures, I made plans to go to the gym and then to my friend Angela's house for a lunch/playdate with her and her son. Within seconds of leaving the warmth of the house or car my eyes, hands, and pretty much entire body started to ache from the cold. I have taken 2 hot showers today and still cannot get warm (I must add that it was most definitely worth going to Angela's- I love being around here and she made me the best homemade bread and chicken noodle soup! So good :) Thanks Ang!

(for those of you who may be concerned about poor little Daniel and my parenting skills- I had him dressed in 4 layers... he was sweating when I got him into the house and I gave him a warm bath too)

I called my sister Kate who lives in LA and she was complaining about how she had to turn on her A/C today on her way home from the gym. It was 85 degrees. That is a difference of around 80 degrees. No more complaining Kate! But I do agree with her that winter should be somewhat cold. Now, -11 is not my cup of tea, but I do really like snow.
In defense of Rochester, it is absolutely beautiful here. The sunning is shining and the snow is sparkling- it looks like a winter wonderland (a very cold wonderland, but still pretty).


We are heading out west tomorrow and I am really looking forward to de-thawing!

18 comments:

J and Rachel Kirkham said...

I am so jealous! I would kill to be playing in the snow no matter how cold it is (well, maybe not -11). AZ is a constant 75 and sunny...I know it sounds crazy but it gets old fast! Miss you guys like crazy! Remember, we would always welcome a visit! :)

Melanie said...

Oh Jen, I know you miss my whole "it's not cold" attitude from the days at JPM, so I thought I would delight you once more! -11 isn't that cold! Yesterday it was -21 temperature, but with the windchill it was -35. I make myself feel better by checking the weather at my parents - that day it felt like -54 with windchill! I figure after -25 or so, it all feels the same!
Enjoy the warmth out west!

Angela said...

Wasn't it worth it?

Jen Richards said...

It was worth it Ang- thanks for the AMAZING lunch!

Steve and Dayna said...

Its cold here too. Sorry to burst your bubble. HA! But at least its not in the negative. Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow!

Amanda said...

Yesterday was the first time I've ventured outside since Tuesday and man, all I can say is that I haven't been missing much! Thanks again for bringing us dinner. It was delicious and we'll have to catch up when you get back from out west so that I can also give you your dish! Have fun.

Di said...

Happy New Year J*B*D! I was thinking about you and hoping Residency life has been good to you (even if it is a little crazy). XOXO

ryan and laura said...

I'm laughing...only because I've experienced the last 7 winters out there in western ny and know exactly what you are talking about. you didn't even mention that 5 degrees out there isn't anything like 5 degrees in utah or colorado....it seems so much colder because of how humid it is! so cold you cant even explain! glad you guys managed to stay warm.

Anna said...

I don't know why or how, but the sun has shined much more this winter than it usually does. It makes dealing with the snow much easier.

audrey said...

i know, i don't know how to survive this boston winter!!!!!!! sounds like it's not much warmer than where you are!! where's the sun, i crave the sun... if you're ever in boston or want to visit and don't have a place to stay, let us know!!!

Haley said...

At least we're in the 20's now :). But, seriously, how many more months of winter do we have? Can't wait to hear about your trip!

Anna said...

I got all cold just reading your post!!

Enjoy your trip :)

Holly said...

although the cold isn't all that fun, the snow really makes winter feel like winter. and for me, when you never get to leave the house it never feels cold!!

Laura said...

We feel you pain (and your chills!)

Sally Bigler said...

I love Daniel

Steve and Dayna said...

Update Update Update!

jen said...

i hear ya, sista!

callie & steve said...

not jealous! though i wish our chlly weather could pay off and provide some fun in the snow! glad you have such a positive attitude about living in the north pole!