Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Scary!

I usually do not blog about things that go on in our day to day lives. This blog has been mostly dedicated to posting pictures for family and friends to see what we are doing, but something so scary happened to me today that I just feel the need to share.
Daniel and I were grocery shopping at Wegman's today (the world's GREATEST super-market) and he asked to get a slice of pizza, which sounded great to me as well, so I had no problem saying yes. We ate our lunch upstairs and as we were walking down to the main floor, he wanted to go get one of the free apples that they offer children in the bakery section. I had a few bags in one hand and his little hand wrapped around my other. We walked up to the bakery and I noticed he let go of my hand, but continued to stand next to me. I asked the bakery worker for an apple and within seconds I had a little red one in hand and looked down to hand it to Daniel. Yet, within that short time he had taken off and was gone. I scanned the room and did not see him. "Did you see which way my son went?", I asked her in a panicked voice. She had not.
I then started running all around the different aisles, bolting between the Chinese food section, bread, and the row of cakes and sweets. I still saw no sign of his little baby blue shorts, sandals, and curly blond hair. I realized that there were 3 huge exits to the street within feet of where we were standing. I was then convinced that someone had seen him, grabbed him, and had bolted to the parking lot. The thought that I would never see my little boy again popped into my racing mind. I started to yell out "has anyone seen a little boy?". People around me started looking as well. I felt like I was going to vomit. I then ran across the store to the produce section, bolting from each different area looking for my baby. It had only been about 3-4 minutes since he was holding my hand, but it felt like I had been running aimlessly, in slow motion, in the store for an hour. Just then I looked over a large display of peaches to see a sweet looking women holding Daniel. He had a huge grin on his face (with pizza sauce still on it) and was holding his arms around her. I ran over and grabbed him, almost squeezing the life out of the little guy. She said she found him near the Halloween candy display and figured he was lost. I thanked her profusely and then noticed that I was shaking, my heart was beating rapidly, and I started to cry. She put an arm around me and said "it happens to the best of us". I thanked her again and held onto Daniel ever so tightly as we walked out of the store to our car. I was still crying and just sat in the front seat with him for a while so that I could hold him a little longer before putting him in the car seat.
This may seem a little dramatic to some of you, and maybe I am being slightly irrational (due to pregnancy hormones?) but it was such an awful experience. The whole way home I talked to him about 'staying close to mommy' but what was really going through my mind was the horror of never seeing Daniel again and how my life would really be over without him. It could be that I have been following the horrible Jaycee Duggard story too closely, but I do think that the threat of children being abducted in a place like the grocery is very real. I cannot imagine what parents go through when they lose a child- it would be the most horrible and tragic thing to ever happen to someone.
I have decided that I am going TODAY to get one of those backpacks with the strap attached to them.

11 comments:

Sara said...

You poor thing, I would have freaked out. Nothing wrong with the leash...I'm such a nervous nelly I plan on getting one as soon as Kate can crawl :)

Burnhams said...

Not an overreaction at all! I cried reading your story! I would have just died... my little Parker is a curious little guy as well, and when he runs, he doesn't look back. He thinks he can venture on his own and it is so scary. I am constantly chasing that kid. Maybe I'll go get the leash today too :)

Angela said...

So scary! I just got tears in my eyes. I have a monkey backpack leash if you want to use that. The leash thing that Sherrod has looks like a good one, too. It is so hard keeping up with these little guys.

stace said...

I have had this happen once with each kid and I react the same. I am sure they are gone forever and shed many a tear over it. It is freaky. It happened just this last weekend when P got on the elevator before I could make it and pushed the buttons. I frantically searched all the floors while thinking all the things you did. Luckily she was on the 7th floor I checked. Sorry you dealt with this. Isn't it amazing how fast and far they can get in such a brief time??

ryan and laura said...

sorry jen....I hate it when that happens! it's like an instant panic building with each minute the kids are missing. glad he was ok!

when's that baby coming?

Anna said...

I "misplaced" the Boy at the museum a few months ago for about 2 minutes. You acted exactly like a mother would and should. Lots of love to you both.

Dayna said...

Jen! What a nightmare! I would have been the very same way. Anytime I think of losing Jayne makes me feel sick to my stomach. I'm sorry you had to go through that but I'm so happy it ended up being nothing serious. I could just picture Danny when he saw you (the way you described it)- haha he is so cute. I can't believe how close your due date is getting!

Dayna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

Save your spooky stories for Halloween! Just kidding. But seriously, I can't imagine. And especially at that Wegmans! Luckily it didn't even phase him (which is a blessing and a curse), and he'll still look darling in a monkey backpack with the tail being the leash!

emily said...

Awww, I'm so sorry you had to go through that! So, so terrifying. The same thing happened to me at the NYC Public Library and I was convinced some freak made off with Madelyn. Sheer PANIC. Thankfully, your sweet little D was checking out the halloween treats! :-)

P.S. said...

I'm so sorry this happened to you guys! The woman who put her arm around you was right though, it does happen to the best of us. The same thing just happened to my friend at the zoo yesterday.
Thanks for sharing Jen. I appreciate this reminder so much.
(This should be a PSA to all mom's)