Tuesday, October 20, 2009

sweet baby james

We have been home for over a week now and little James is doing great. My mom left yesterday and to say we will miss her is a huge understatement. She could not have been more wonderful or more helpful for the 2 + weeks she was here. Bryson's parents were also left yesterday and we are so happy they were able to come see the baby, even if it was a short trip.
We took James to the doctors on Monday (a week ago) and he had gained 8 oz since he left the hospital! He is such great eater, which is such a blessing since nursing was rather tricky with Daniel.
The birth story is a rather entertaining one- I still laugh when I think about that day, which was only a little over a week ago. I woke up that morning feeling normal (as normal as you can at 9 months) and my mother and I decided to take Daniel to Target to get the finishing touches for his Halloween costume and then to Chuck E Cheese to play some games. That night I noticed a few strong contractions, but I had been having fairly painful ones for over a week. I felt like I had been timing contractions on and off again for over two weeks, so this was nothing out of the ordinary. I was hungry, so I made myself a bowl of oatmeal and sat down on the chair to watch movie with Daniel and my mom. Minutes later I felt something that I can only describe as water balloon exploding under my seat and I knew right away that my water had broken. I was calm as I was sure I had plenty of time to get to the hospital, but my mom insisted that we throw the bags into the car and get to the hospital ASAP. We called Bryson at 9:59 PM to let him know that I was coming and to meet me outside the hospital to take me to the L & D floor (he was working a 27 hour trauma shift at the time). As soon as we got into the car the contractions started to become very strong, but I still thought we had plenty of time.
Bryson met us outside and we headed up to Labor and Delivery. By this time I was in quite a bit of pain. The doctor met us in the room and the first thing I said was that I wanted an epidural. He checked me and then said, "You are at a 10 and need to start pushing. There is no time for an epidural". I was pretty shocked and nervous but realized there was not much I could do at this point. He then measured my stomach and told me he believed the baby was around 8 pounds (which did not ease any anxiety that I had about not having pain medication!).
20 minutes later baby James was born at 11:02 PM, about an hour after my water broke at home. I think I in a state of shock when they placed him on my chest as everything seemed like a blur at that point. I was not prepared to have the baby so fast, but he could not have been more beautiful and I could not have been any more grateful to finally meet this adorable baby boy.
Luckily my mom had only got to the car when Bryson called her, so she and Daniel were able to come back up and meet the baby minutes after he was born. We were all shocked when the nurse yelled out that he weighed 9 pounds 7 oz.!! He was so (and still is) SO big! I think you will notice from the pictures that he does not look like a newborn, and definitely does not fit into ANY of his newborn clothing.
Despite the craziness of the night, the delivery could not have gone any better. Both me and baby are healthy and happy and we could not ask for anything more.
james looking very swollen, but still so adorable

the fam
cuddling with grandma bigler
bryson looks so proud!


i love his chubby baby legs and toes

the next day

the adorable outfit we took him home in (thanks aunt katy!)

daniel wanted to 'cuddle the baby' and was a little upset when we would not let him poke the baby's eye. luckily he has been very gentle with his new brother and usually ignores him most the time.




15 comments:

Jessica said...

congrats!!! what a fast delivery!!!

Anna said...

Amazing and beautiful!

The Soldani's said...

WOW!! I have been checking multiple times a day to see an update ;-) Glade you all are good and healthy! Jen!! That is a BIG boy! Good job lady! And NO meds! Wow!!!!!

Dayna said...

oh he is the CUTEST THING!!!!!! i still can't believe how big he is when you looked SO TINY!! ok well maybe you had a big belly but THAT WAS IT. everything you ate really went to him and him only. ha! i can't get over his precious little face. i'm so glad you posted your birth story--- AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! i can't believe how fast it was. that is crazy. I love the picture of danny with that face when you wouldn't let him poke his eye. hahahahaha. he is so funny. i can't wait to meet little james! i tell jayne about him all the time. they are going to be good buddies. love you jen!!!! (and bryson and daniel and james!!!)

Annie and Jake said...

Congrats. He looks a little like Daniel. Its crazy to think you had the baby before the movie would have been over that you had started. Wow!

Kathy said...

What a crazy labor! I feel your pain on the no epidural... ouch! Glad it went fast. :) James is beautiful. We are so happy for you guys.

Ala Family said...

Congratulations Richards Family! We are so excited for you guys. James is BEAUTIFUL! I can't believe your delivery story...good thing your mom was there to hurry you to the hospital! Glad you guys are doing well. Can't wait to see you in Utah soon and to meet baby James.

J and Rachel Kirkham said...

A few thoughts:
1. You are a warrior! Seriously? 9+ pounds and no drugs - AMAZING!
2. He is amazingly cute and I LOVE HIM!
3. Daniel's face in the one picture when he's trying to poke James' eyes out makes me laugh
4. YOU LOOK SO BEAUTIFUL
5. I really hope we can meet him soon (and that you can meet Miss Chloe). It's been too long!

I LOVE YOU GUYS and we are so so happy for you. Please keep the pictures coming if you're not too busy (ha)! Hugs and kisses to you all!! xoxo

Burnhams said...

WOW. You are amazing Jen! That's all I can say about that!!!

Kathryn Cannon said...

Can I even tell you how much I love that little (big) guy already and I haven't even met him yet. He is too delicious. My sister is a CHAMP! 9lbs 7oz and no epidural. You are my Hero. Beautiful perfect little family. I will see you guys soon! Love you all.

Mindi said...

Congratulations!! I love hearing the story of how he entered the world. So glad to hear that you both are doing well.

I cannot believe how big he is!! :) And I am so impressed, no meds? You are my hero!

Take care! Can't wait to hear/see more.

The Strand Family said...

Love the post. The pic of Danny holding James is priceless, Danny's facial expression is so funny! You have two handsome boys Jen :) Love you xoxox!

Anna said...

Hooray for second babies and their quick entrances!! :) I had my fingers crossed that it would go quickly for you too! I'm so glad it did.

Oh Jen, he is beautiful! Congratulations!!! I'm so so so happy for you!

emily said...

Oh my goodness, Jen...a natural birth!! You better have a helicopter ready to take you to the hospital for your next baby...so fast!! Congratulations, James is perfect and Daniel looks sooo cute too. What a sweet lil' family you have!

Benitta said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Lucy

http://toddlergirls.net