Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Surgery Update

Daniel's surgery went well today and he seems to be feeling great! 
Daniel was so cute putting on his hospital pajamas and had a great time walking around looking at all the other patients in his Spiderman slippers. Before he was taken back to the OR, they gave him a small amount of midazolam (to calm him) and before we knew it he was laughing, blowing bubbles with his mouth, and acting as though he was intoxicated or something-it was pretty funny. 
When they picked him up to take him to the OR I became a little emotional. I did not expect to start crying, but I could not help it. It was very difficult for me not to go with him. Luckily, Bryson was there to comfort me. 
An hour later he was done! It was successful and Daniel had no problem waking up from anesthesia. The only thing he kept saying was "my eyes don't work!". The gave him some more pain meds and he calmed down and asked to watch a movie. Soon after he reported to me that his eyes where working just fine. He even mentioned to me while in our post-op room "Mom, this is a great room! We should come here again".



And he has been doing surprisingly well today. He finished off 8 servings of red jello in the matter of a few hours, ice cream, popsicles, and gelato. He was even jumping around the house this afternoon (I am sure this was an after effect from all the sugar). He did want to eat bread and cereal tonight, but we were able to make him happy by getting him a milkshake. Hopefully he feels this good tomorrow! We are so grateful that things went so well- what a blessing :)

9 comments:

Sara said...

Awww, I'm so glad it went well. I can imagine it would be very traumatic for a mother!!

Your family is too cute.

Ang said...

Jen thanks for the great report...so happy that you have your healthy and happy boy back home again. Hopefully the recovery will continue to so quickly for him...pretty amazing how quickly children can bounce back from things!

kelly said...

what a trooper! He seems to be enjoying his recovery just fine!:)

Jessica said...

He's so brave!!! Getting your tonsils out as a kid is SO much better than as an adult! I was miseralbe for 10 days!

Kathy said...

Glad he is doing well! Sounds like a tough little boy! :)

Shannon said...

That is awesome that everything went as well as it could have. What a trooper! I only wish you would have taken video of him just before the surgery while he was acting "intoxicated"... :) Love you guys!

Anna said...

I'm so glad that it went well! It must have been so hard on you to know that this was coming and then to watch him go into the OR, but I'm sure you handled it well and hooray that everything turned out great! What a little superhero. Deserving of his awesome Halloween costume for sure :)

Happy Halloween to you too! Miss you!

P.S. said...

WOW. That must have been so hard for you both. When Elle had to be put under I cried in the waiting room.

George Family said...

Glad to hear he's feeling better!! So much news over there! I can't believe I missed all of this. I'm glad you're through it and Daniel is feeling so much better.