Monday, August 27, 2012

Get out and TRI

Yesterday was my first triathlon and it was awesome! I had two friends who also competed in it (Rachel and Salem), and it was great to have them there to help shake off some of the nerves I had before we started.
It took place at Durand Beach on Lake Ontario on one of the most beautiful mornings of the summer. I arrived pre-sunrise to set up my stuff, and was able to watch the sun come up over the lake.
I really had no idea what to expect. I just knew that I wanted to try my best and push myself.
We started off with the swim which was 1/2 mile. Luckily the water was clear and calm which made for an easier swim. After I got out of the water, I headed to the transition area to get my bike. That was a little stressful, but I was able to get all my gear on and head out to the next part, the biking. The ride was 12 miles. I had only trained on a stationary bike, which did not prepare me for all the hills that we had to climb. Luckily it was so green and beautiful and that helped distract me from the burning feeling in my legs. The last part was the 5K run. My legs felt like bricks when I started moving. Yet as I kept going, they felt better and stronger. It was so wonderful to finally reach the finish line!
The BEST part of the race was seeing Bryson and the boys cheering me on at the sidelines. They missed the swimming part (which may have been my favorite, although my best time was on the run) but I heard their cheers while I was biking, and Daniel even gave me high '5' during the run! All the boys ran to meet me at the finish line and gave me a hug (and were then covered in sweat!).
It was a great experience and I am hoping to do it again (soon). 

Before the swim with Rachel and Salem

Just getting out of the water and heading to transition.

waving to the boys on the bike










the 3 amigos waiting for me to run by


this is the gorgeous view I had during the running portion of the tri






Daniel was my best cheerleader! I was so happy to see him.














I was so exhausted but very excited to be done (and to hold my little Andrew)




Salem and I after the race. 











I was pretty happy about all of my times except for maybe the biking part. I definitely could use some work in that area! I ended up placing 5th place in my age bracket, which felt pretty good! 


3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Umm...awesome!!! You totally rock! I miss you guys (and, I hate to admit it, Rochester). :)

MaryAnne said...

Nice job!!!

Dayna said...

YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!!! Makes me want to get out and do something challenging. Buuuut it will probably have to wait until after March. Remember when we were gonna sign up for a marathon together? What do you say about a half next fall? Maybe we could do a Utah one and have it overlap when you come to your parents cabin to visit.