Wednesday, September 5, 2012

the first day for D

I remember walking down the streets of NYC with Daniel in the stroller. Old women would stop to admire my baby, and they would often said things like "Enjoy",  "It goes by so fast", and "Before you know it, he will be starting kindergarten". At that point, kindergarten seemed like a millions years away.

Well, the much anticipated day has arrived. Daniel started kindergarten today! I know that it is just kindergarten and is really only the beginning, but the experience was a little emotional (mainly for me).

Daniel requested a breakfast of champions- mickey mouse (yes- that is what it is suppose look like)  pancakes with fruit and whipped cream. Not sure where his shirt is?





He asked that I get a shot of his new backpack



Outside his school.
I asked a friend to watch the younger two so I could focus on Daniel. 

Staring at his new classroom before walking in. 
D is usually a pretty outgoing and confident little guy. This morning he wanted to hold my hand most of the time and was very quiet. 
His teacher asked that parents stay for 20-30 minutes. We were able to walk around and become familiar with the classroom. Daniel also met a few friends. 

As you can see, the name 'Danny' is on his name tag. Daniel asked that his teacher and friends call him 'Danny' this year. All of our extended family calls him Danny, so I was not too surprised when he made this request. I told him that I like Danny, and that it is great that his friends call him that, but I will probably always call him Daniel.



This was my view before walking out the door. A few minutes later, I got into my car and cried! I know I know, it's just kindergarten. But this is a big step for him (and myself). He will be surrounded by people he does not know all day long. He now rides the bus. He will be learning all sorts of new things every single day. He will be around kids that are 2 and 3 years older than him. A lot of 'firsts' will happen this year. I am so excited but nervous at the same time.

And 2.5 hours later he is home!

You can tell from his face that he had a GREAT day. And I was so happy to hear that his good friend Isaac rides the bus with him.

And someone was very happy to see him.

This little boy is growing up. I am so proud of him.



4 comments:

Melanie said...

So fun for him!! We get to go through it next year. But T has to go all day, every day. 9-3!!! So long for a five year old! I hope Danny loves his class!

Rachey said...

He is Daniel to me too! Looks like a good day. The bus ride is what seems so grown up to me!

Unknown said...

Totally made me cry. So cute.

Dayna said...

I am dying over this post. So cute. Every bit of it!!!